Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spring has sprung, or so I decided.

Every year I strive to beat Winter to the finish line, mostly because I hate the thought of wasting a gorgeous day on an indoor project - the official closet switch.
Goodbye Winter.

Hello Spring!

Working in luxury fashion for the past 5 years, I have merchandised designers from Diane von Furstenberg and Marc Jacobs to Gucci and Tom Ford. I always bring my work home with me and organize my own closet the way I prefer to shop.
Dresses and Tops are first organized by sleeve length from strapless to long sleeve, and within their category by color warm to cool.
Bottoms organized by length and color, followed by outerwear sorted by sleeve length.
I am a very visual person so I do my best to maximize every inch!


Because of minimal shelf space I only keep my handbags and clutches visible. I have an extra large tote that I use to store my other bags. I prefer to organize accessories by size. I always know where to find what I am looking for!

Color coordination is key.
It is important to fold fine gauge sweaters.. hanging creates the dreaded shoulder bumps.

Sorting denim cool to warm can help identify opportunities.  Do you have 5 pairs of dark washed jeans and no light?

I am really into the nude shoe movement. They go with everything you own and make your legs look better than ever.
My favorite tennis shoes are Supergas. I first learned about the brand during a Teen Vogue event I worked on while at NM. Gloria Baume, Teen Vogue's Fashion Director, aka end all be all at the fashion institution was wearing them. Gloria shared that due to comfort and consistency she never strayed from the brand. (I bought them the next day.)

You may notice that I have Charlotte Russe next to Tibi, Steve Madden next to Manolo Blahnik, Old Navy next to YSL and Christian Louboutin, and Gucci next to J. Crew and Banana Republic. Although there is a sea of designers, one thing to know is I have NEVER paid full price for any!!!!  (cats out of the bag)


A busty girl since I was 10 years old,  my life changed when I discovered the beauty of belts! By simply highlighting my small point (between my belly button and rib cage) I am able to wear the dresses and tunics I used to avoid. They also are a great tool to help any look go from day to night.

I love accessorizing my wrists with fun/cheap pieces. I am really embracing the pop of color movement this year by investing in bundles of bracelets at H&M ranging from $3.95-$5.95. Another favorite investment in this drawer is my gold Timex I purchased at Walmart for $8. I am a silver girl but love to wear gold from time to time and needed a go to timepiece.
*Insider tip: If you are prone to turning green or breaking out from wearing faux jewelry (like me) use clear top coat nail polish to protect both you and the bauble, it works like a charm!!

My basics: Old Navy solid tanks and l/s shirts, lounge wear, and gym gear.

My bottoms... full of lululemon which I can't live without.
No closet is complete without the finishing touch- a great mirror.

2 comments:

  1. I need to hire you to do my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bargain shopping is hereditary...passed down from grandma and gert! I swear to you, I just bought annalmost identical mirror for my closet! Great minds think alike! Love the blog...younare doing an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete